I try to go to our local thrift store once or twice a week. I normally find some pretty good things in there. Mostly canvas', picture frames, anything thing that has potential with a little paint. Last week I found a few ugly pictures, but, the frames were decent so I bought them. I wasn't exactly sure what I would do with them just yet. I wanted to make a sign to hang down my hall but didn't have a canvas so I took one of the ugly pictures and took it out of the frame, turned it over and painted the backside of the cardboard white. I wasn't sure it would work, the cardboard did bow a little while the paint was wet but as soon as it dried it was flat again! So I went to work. I got out my scrapbook letters and spray adhesive. I sprayed the back of each letter and waited a few seconds so it was tacky then placed the letters where I wanted them pressing down on them so there isn't any parts lifted. Then, I took flat black spray paint and sprayed a coat over everything. It dries pretty fast. That's a good thing because I'm very impatient. Then, I gently pulled the letters off, it did tear a little but it just added more character! I then took a piece of sandpaper and gently went over the letters and corners. Just enough to make it look old. Then, I took a little stain and wiped it over the whole thing then wiped it off. I love how it turned out!
 |
| This is the before picture. The frame was just a plain oak frame I spray painted it black. |
 |
| This is the after picture. I really like it! |
 |
| This is a close up of where the cardboard ripped but I like the character it adds. |
 |
| Close up of the flowers made from the vintage wedding gown and vintage buttons. |
No comments:
Post a Comment